Before we talk about battery care and maintenance, why does a car need a battery anyway? The main purpose of a car battery is to provide power when starting the vehicle. You wouldn’t want to get stuck in the parking lot. Neither would you want to look for jumper cables every time you want to embark on a new journey. Read this blog if you want to know how to prolong the life of your car battery. Consider the following battery care and maintenance tips:
How to take good care of your battery
- Maintain the battery water level at 6mm above the lead plates.
- Top up with clean distilled water only.
- Do not overfill because a wet battery gets corroded easily.
- If you are constantly topping up water it means your battery is overcharged.
- Keep your battery secured to the car body with battery clamps to minimize vibrations, but do not overtighten.
- Coat your battery terminals with Vaseline/grease to avoid corrosion.
- Clean corroded terminals by immersing it in ammoniated warm water or soda dissolved in water.
- You should always refer to manufacturer’s recommendations when choosing a battery for your car.
- When you buy a new battery, get it fitted by a qualified technician only.
You may need to replace your battery when:
- It no longer supplies sufficient power after your car has been sitting for too long.
- Your vehicle is hard starting and it has been determined that the starter is still okay.
- It is older and triggers the battery check light on the dashboard.
Quick battery facts:
- Batteries have a limited lifespan.
- They may crack or become discharged due to a faulty charging circuit.
- Normal batteries last between 3-5 years depending on vehicle type and your driving habits.
- Most battery retailers will give you a 1-year guarantee on a new battery. This applies if you take proper care and maintenance of your battery.
Do not get stuck in the middle of the road, Contact Us if you need a new battery. Say goodbye to jump starting and push starting. Put your driving hassles behind you. Come to Toyota Master Zimbabwe for battery checks and replacements. Learn the best battery for your specific car model. Call or chat with us TODAY!